Having tea for me isn't just a beverage to drink but an experience. I boil the water, prep my pot with warm water, pull 5 bags tea, pour, and then place my cozy over the pot and wait 5 minutes. I have a ramekin of white sugar and a vessel of Half & Half. I like a white tea pot, cup and saucer. It somehow seems to bring a touch of class and cleanliness.
When it comes to what kind of tea I like that always depends on the day but 90% of the time I drink Tetley black tea. With Asian foods I like green tea with jasmine and on some occasions I just like something different.
No matter what the tea time I like something sweet. Sometimes a fortune cookie with strong black tea (any Chinese restaurant), a nice nut and fruit bread from a bakery (Wholefoods), blueberry scones with lemon curd (local tea house), or my personal favorite homemade cookies (My wife's danish ribbon cookies). I think the secret is to have something that's sweet but not to sweet.
Tricks for making tea:
- Don't use a Microwave
- Always use a little sugar
- Don't let the tea brew longer than 6 minutes (unless a specialty tea)
- Brew for at least 4 minutes
- Buy a tea pot cozy (English Specialty stores- They are around)
- Serve with a proper cup and saucer (What ever tickles your fancy)